In 2016 RTIG established a Working Group to consider these issues.
It was quickly realised that the challenge has several dimensions, and separate advice was required on issues such as:
- The language and terminology used on RTI signage;
- How RTI data can be structured so that the information available through separate channels is kept consistent;
- How best to use newer sign technologies that enable full-screen displays;
- What kind of information bus users would best benefit from on signs.
The present document helps to address the third and fourth of these: it provides a brief overview of sign types and characteristics, and suggests an approach to prioritising information and presenting it on-screen.
Companion documents are:
- RTIGT035, which covers language and terminology;
- RTIGT036, which covers the use of signs for additional information (ie not directly associated with specific services).